Since it was founded in 2007 by three young entrepreneurs Fridtjof Detzner, Matthias Henze and Christian Springub, Jimdo website builder has grown tremendously.
In 2009 Jimbo started the ‘Lifeboat for GeoCities’ campaign in order to lure Google Page Creator and Yahoo! users after Yahoo! decided to close GeoCities project. Jimdo announced that former users of GeoCities were welcome to their web service – they even offered 10% off of their plans to them.
The platform has evolved introducing its clearer and more intuitive website editor. Starting from now, users have all the necessary settings in one place. No need to search for a specific tool. All instruments are thoughtfully located in the menu bar on the left. The new menu is now available for all websites.Jimdo has become much simpler and convenient to use for everyone. From now on, you can launch any types of websites with the system, including eCommerce websites, portfolios, landing pages as well as projects for commercial and non-commercial use.
The real highlight of the website builder is its advanced Jimdo Dolphin tool, introduction of which has notably changed the entire approach to the web development process. This is especially true, when it comes to users, who have got used to the standard Jimdo Editor and have finally got access to a decent web design alternative that can notably save their effort and time. Are you right about to reveal all the pros and cons of the website builder prior to testing it? Then let’s review it in details to help you get started with ease.
Ease of Use
Jimdo is comparatively easy and multi-functional. To start working with the website builder, you initially have to sign up for it. The registration process is quick and requires the completion of the sign up form. As soon as you are done with this step, you’ll be offered to choose between two website editing options – Classic Jimdo and advanced Jimdo Dolphin. Both solutions ensure decent web design experience, even though, they utilize quite different approaches to it. Classic Jimdo Editor works better for those users, who have previously been involved in website development and are familiar with the basic nuances of this complicated process. A convenient WYSIWYG editor that comes with drag-and-drop support and inline editing feature simplifies the process of website creation, letting users see the changes they make in progress.You can easily add new elements to the page simply by choosing them from the list of draggable widgets. When you drop an element on the page, the builder will get them automatically aligned with the rest of the elements. The editor has a handy clipboard that lets you move text elements and other media from one page to another without having to copy and re-upload them. You can drop as many elements onto the clipboard as you want.
Regardless of the fact this Classic Jimdo version works better for experienced users, you don’t have to possess coding skills to work with it. If you have programming knowledge, though, the editor allows using it to give your website unique design and functionality. The interface of the website builder is intuitive and quite logical. All the elements are on their places here, so, you won’t get lost during the web design process. To some extent, Jimdo interface is similar to that of Wix or Weebly. The only notable disadvantage about Jimdo Editor is absence of the preview option. This means that you won’t be able to see the results of each and every edit made at the website. To watch the ready-made project, you’ll need to publish it first. If there is anything you’d like to fix for some reason, you’ll have to make the edits in the dashboard and update the website to publish the new version. That’s not quite convenient as it may take more time and effort.
Now, let’s get closer to the review of the advanced Jimdo Dolphin Editor. As mentioned above, the tool simplifies the entire process of website development, making it more suitable for first-time users.
Jimdo Dolphin works great for the creation of simpler projects like one-page websites or standard business sites. The system uses information you submit upon its request to automatically generate a ready-made personalized website. As soon as you start working with Dolphin, it will ask a couple of questions about your business. You’ll be offered to select the type of a website you need – either personal or business. Right after that, the system will ask the questions, where you’ll need to provide your business name, location, contact data, social network accounts (if any), the niche you specialize in etc. It will also pick a template based on your business focus. If you are not satisfied with it, you’ll be able to change it afterwards. The next step of building a website with Jimdo Dolphin is uploading a logo that will favourably present your brand on the web. Finally, you’ll have to pick the style of your future website and the domain name. Upon the completion of the questionnaire, you’ll have to wait for a couple of minutes until the system retrieves all the possible information about your business on the web and creates a website based on this data. As soon as the project is ready, you can replace the content with your own info, add photos and media files.
The description of the web design process with Jimdo Dolphin may seem quite long. In reality, though, the entire procedure will take around half an hour only. That’s quite an amazing and engaging experience, indeed!
Jimdo is suitable for building different types of websites, from simple business sites to portfolios and webstores. The platform has an in-house blogging system and a feature-rich eCommerce toolset.Let’s have a closer look at the major features of Classic Jimdo now.
- Jimdo Store. Jimdo offers a robust eCommerce system that’s easy to install and configure. Jimdo Store settings include: multiple payment options(Stripe and PayPal payments), flexible shipping options, custom emails, item availability, discount codes, inventory tracking,product display and availability, custom salutation and email confirmation, cancellation and return policies, completed checkout messages and more. To cut down the web development time, the system offers a collection of simple click-to-edit tools, multiple customizable eCommerce designs, SEO tools used to successfully promote a website, email order templates for users, who wish to save time when placing their orders online etc.
- Jimdo Blog. The Blog feature has two parts: Blog posts and Blog display. Once you’ve added your first blog posts, they will show up wherever you add aBlog display elementon your site. When building blogs with Jimdo, you’ll be able to try different types of user interaction features like custom widget/HTML integration, Google Maps, form, file download, flash animation (.swf files), responsive blog designs and more. What’s more, you will be able to adjust SEO settings and sort out the posts by categories and tags, for example. Mind that scheduling feature is not available here, but you can create the posts in advance and save the drafts to further publish them and share with other users on the web.
- Free Mobile Applications (iOS and Android) that can be used for creating new and editing existing websites on the go.
- Integration Options. Even though, the website builder cannot boast powerful integration options and lots of third-party services to be connected to your website,there is a library of approved widgets that can be seamlessly integrated into your Jimdo site. These include various business tools (MailChimp, SiteWit, Yelp…), design tools (Infogr.am, Flickr, Bannersnack…),Tidio Live Chat, Eventbrite ticketing, social media platforms, shop and media tools, Infogr.am infographics, and what not. Additionally, there is an opportunity to pick and integrate photos from the extensive image gallery available in stock. YouTube video embedding option is enabled as well.
- Multilingual Support. Jimdo interface is available in 8 languages, but the editor of the system supports any language you might need. Thus, you can create multilingual websites with Jimdo, even though, the process may require extra effort and time investment.
- Image Editor. Apart from stock photos available in the website editor by default, the website builder makes it possible to integrate your own images, while creating a project. The Editor additionally offers a collection of image editing tools that let you crop, resize, rotate and adjust photos with regard to your needs. The use of the Adobe Creative SDK Image Editing Tool you can find in the dashboard of the system lets you edit the images directly in the website builder to come up to the overall style of your project. There are multiple effects you can use for image editing here. They fall into 11 categories and let you pick the required image settings. What you can do here is applying image effects, changing photo orientation, adding frames and overlays, image effects, adjusting color palettes, setting vignettes and focus points on photos etc. Classic Jimdo really abounds in photo editing options.
- Password Protection. When building websites with Jimdo, you can secure their pages or the entire website with passwords of your choice. The type and strength of protection depends upon your individual needs and the plan you will eventually pick for your web building needs. If you need, though, you can make up as many password-protected web pages as you require.
- Website Statistics. Jimdo comes with a set of statistics collection tools you can use to track your website performance and factors that affect it. Integration of Google Analytics is a must-have step to find out the data about the target audience, traffic amount and sources, conversion rates, sales amount, orders, page views and what not. Awareness of these nuances will give you the understanding of how successful your website is as well as about the problems you may accidentally overlook.
- SSL Certification. Websites launched with Jimdo are securely protected with SSL Certificates. This is a must-have feature for all websites, especially for those that focus on eCommerce. The Certificate encrypts all information that comes to your website and is sent from it, thus protecting your personal and payment details.
Jimdo Dolphin is much more intuitive and simple as compared to the Classic Editor. The interface of the service is user-friendly and absolutely understandable to each and every user. There is no need to acquire web design knowledge or apply coding skills to start a decent website with the system – Dolphin will do everything for you in less than half an hour. Just access the tool, answer the questions it generates and enjoy the result! You won’t find a simpler solution than this one!
The entire process of website development is organized in the form of an interactive and engaging animated wizard. A user is not just an observer here, but an active participant, whose actions and choice affect the final result. Being the AI-based system, Jimdo Dolphin delivers exceptional web building experience that is automatically generated by the service based on the information submitted by a user.
It makes sense to mention that websites created with Dolphin are comprised of content blocks. It’s up to a user to pick, add, copy, delete and adjust block positions. The blocks fall into categories, which, correspondingly, come with multiple design variations. The process of block editing is simple and quick – just pick the element you wish to modify, adjust the settings and submit your business information/content.
To control the statistics of your website created with Dolphin, users may go for the integrated Jimdo Boost application. This is the place, where you can find out detailed traffic data, information about website performance as well as tips on its further promotion. The data you will find here are retrieved from Google Analytics.
For more details about these features read Jimdo review by Howard Steele.
Your free Jimdo site will be published on a subdomain and have the following look: sitename.jimdo.com. To connect a custom domain, you have to upgrade your account.
Jimdo offers a standard SEO package allowing you to insert meta tags (page title, description and keywords). What I liked most of all was their Google preview box. It allows you to see what your webpage will look like on the search results page. However, with Jimdo Free plan you can set SEO tags for your home page only. In order to insert meta tags and choose URLs for each single web page of your site you have to upgrade your plan to JimdoPro or Jimdo Business.Apart from this, Business and Platinum Plan subscribers may set up advanced SEO settings like filling out robots meta tags, for example. Jimdo also helps newbies adjust the main SEO settings via the use of the RankingCoach add-on. URL redirect option is enabled here as well.
Jimdo has a great collection of templates.The website builder currently offers more than 30 pre-designed themes that are customizable and work great for both Jimdo Editors. The designs are modern, stylish, and what’s more important – responsive.Each theme is available in multiple style variations, which extends the choice.No matter which template you select, all Jimdo features are available to you. However, some themes are better suited for personal sites or stores. You can switch templates anytime without losing any of your content.
Speaking about design customization options, they are more versatile for users working in Classic Jimdo Editor. The template collection encompasses designs for different types of websites – eCommerce sites, blogs, landing pages, portfolios, business projects and what not. At the same time, you can pick any theme you like and customize it as you need without focusing on the style aspect. To cut down the time of website customization, you may use the “Style by Element” toggle, which is available in the dashboard and lets you apply the changes either to a single element or to all the elements available on a web page or even on a website. Do you have coding skills? If so, then the website builder allows generating unique website design by using the Custom Template Interface, that is, HTML/CSS editor + file manager.
As to Jimdo Dolphin design approach, the service doesn’t offer any template collection at all. This is because the system automatically picks the most suitable theme based upon the business information you provide. When it comes to design customization, it’s as simple as the tool itself. You can experiment with the major design parameters of the selected template (style, background, color palette, content etc.). There is no need to go for deeper design customization – the AI-based tool will make the required settings individually. However, it is possible to modify the default settings, if there is such a need.
JimdoPro and Jimdo Business users can set up aMobile Express Page –a mobile landing page that will show the most important info about your company.
Jimdo offers multi-language customer support and has an extensive knowledge base. There are also dozens of video walkthroughs covering nearly every feature of Jimdo – just check out their YouTube channel.
What’s more, Jimdo Support Center provides lots of manuals, tutorials on how to use the system, helpful articles and guidelines for first-time users. If there is something you cannot find in the knowledgebase of the system or you have a complex service-related problem, go ahead to contact the customer support team via the Live Chat. Another solution is to browse the extensive and informative Community Forum, which comes with lots of branches, topics and categories. This is the best destination for users willing to share their experience, find out answers to lots of questions or just chat about the system-related aspects.
To simplify the search and cut down the browsing time, Jimdo developers have subdivided the questions and knowledge base topics into categories. The most popular of them include Basics, Design, Domains and Email, Blogging, Store, Search Engine Optimization, Account and FAQ. The categories tackle different nuances of using the system as well as problems you may encounter when designing websites with it.
Mind that the priority of customer support assistance depends upon the plan you have selected. Free account users won’t be able to get professional customer support here. Pro Plan users may wait for the support services offered by the native English speakers during 1-2 days, while the subscribers of advanced Business and Premium accounts may count on immediate premium support provided within 1-2 hours (on business days) after they leave a request. What’s interesting, the support team grants individual tech assistance and guides a user through the process of website creation until he/she gets answers to the required questions.
Classic Jimdo currently offers five subscriptions: Free, Pro ($10/mo), Business ($20/mo), SEO Plus ($30/mo) and Platinum ($40/mo). Free Plan is enough to test the system, but its doesn’t grant access to advanced web design tools and comes with certain restrictions. Pro Plan is a good bet for freelancers, creatives and bloggers, whose web design experience is not quiet sufficient to develop complex projects independently. Business Plan is a great solution for web store owners and entrepreneurs, while SEO Plus |Plan works better for users, who are focused on quick website promotion. Platinum Plan, in its turn, is the top notch choice for professional website developers as it provides the ultimate feature set needed to cover the prevailing amount of web design needs.
Jimdo Dolphin also provides several subscriptions to choose from. These include Free, Start ($9/mo), Grow ($15/mo), eCommerce ($19/mo) or Unlimited ($39/mo) plans that are billed annually. Free plan is good for exploring the major features of the service as its limitations won’t let you discover the full potential of the website builder. Start Plan is a decent pick for personal use. Grow Plan works well for business owners and for company use. eCommerce Plan speaks for itself as it lets you set up and manage small-to-large online stores. Finally, the Unlimited Plan is the best solution for the creation of large-scale professional websites with advanced feature set.
Possible drawbacks: Jimdo’s interface is quite user-friendly, but it could be more intuitive and flexible. The system has no membership functionality. You can’t provide limited access to your website (I mean you can’t add multiple contributors with different access rights).
The strongest side: In my opinion, the strongest side of Jimdo is itsDolphin tool that does not only simplify the entire process of website creation, but also makes it possible for newbies to complete the task on their own.The company also provides multi-language support, communicates with its customers on social media and constantly updates the knowledge base.
Jimdo is a German website builder that has been in the web publishing domain since 2007. During this period, the company has helped to create over 20M websites. That’s impressive, even if this number includes anyone who has ever signed up to Jimdo.
It seems like the number of Jimdo-powered websites will keep on growing especially considering the number of new options and tools the platform delivers. Users can now benefit from handy updates including Mobile Live Chat feature, eCommerce and blogging engines, multiple responsive customizable templates and other advantages.
Jimdo gives all the tools the average business/individual needs to start a website: an in-house shopping cart, a blogging system, an array of widgets, and even mobile applications. If you’re comfortable relying on ready designs and can do without custom coding,Classic Jimdo Editor can be a great option for you. You will be in charge of the website development process, customizing your project with regard to your needs.
The real highlight of the website builder is its advanced AI-based Dolphin platform ft. an exclusive Smart SEO instrument to handle necessary SEO settings and bring your website to the top without special skills. The tool brings down all the hassle of the DIY web design process, creating a decent project for you in the automated mode. The system uses the content a user provides upon its request to generate full-featured websites in the shortest time possible. However, if you expect deeper website customization, it makes sense to search around for a decent Jimdo alternative that will come up to your needs.